Homemade Butterscotch Ice Cream
FOR SWEET CRUNCH (PRALINE):
½ cup jaggery
2 tbsp water
1 tsp butter
2 tbsp cashew / kaju, chopped
FOR ICE CREAM:
2 cup heavy cream
3 drops yellow food colour
1 cup condensed milk / milkmaid
1 tsp butterscotch essence
SWEET CRUNCH / PRALINE PREPARATION:
- firstly, in a pan take ½ cup jaggery and 2 tbsp water.
- stir and dissolve the jaggery keeping the flame on medium.
- once the jaggery melts, add 1 tsp butter and give a good mix.
- boil for 6-7 minutes or until the syrup turns frothy. check the consistency, by dropping syrup into a bowl of water, it should form hardball and cut with a snap sound. else boil for another minute and check.
- further add 2 tbsp cashew and give a good mix.
- pour the mixture over greased plate and allow to cool completely.
- break into pieces and transfer to a zip lock bag.
- crush the praline into pieces. keep aside.
BUTTERSCOTCH ICE CREAM PREPARATION:
- firstly, in a large bowl take 2 cup heavy cream and 3 drops yellow food color.
- beat on low speed. you can also use a whisk to beat the cream.
- beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- now add 1 cup condensed milk and 1 tsp butterscotch essence. if you do not have access to butterscotch essence, you can use vanilla extract.
- beat and mix until everything is well combined.
- further, add 3 tbsp of prepared praline and mix gently.
- transfer the ice cream mixture into a glass box.
- top with few praline pieces and cover tight.
- now freeze for 8 hours or until it sets completely.
- finally, enjoy butterscotch ice cream with tutti frutti.