⅓ cup pitted prunes, halved
1 ½ cups (250g) sultanas
1 ½ cups (250g) currants
½ cup sweet sherry
½ cup brandy
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry instant coffee
¼ cup hot water
¼ cup plum jam
1 cup plain flour
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 ½ cups (250g) glace cherries
1 ½ cups (250g) halved dates
1 cup mixed peel
2 cups (250g) walnut pieces
- Combine prunes, sultanas and currants in a bowl, mix in sherry and brandy, cover, stand overnight.
- Grease a deep 23cm round cake pan, line with 3 layers of paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer only until combined.
- Add eggs quickly, one at a time, beat only until combined between each addition.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, stir in the combined coffee and water and jam, then the sifted dry ingredients in 2 lots.
- Drain prune mixture, reserve liquid.
- Add prune mixture, cherries, dates, peel and walnuts to cake mixture.
- Spread cake mixture into prepared pan. Bake in a slow oven of about 2 hours.
- Brush reserved liquid over hot cake, cover, cool in pan.
Tips: Fruit for soaking can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead.