Braised Celery With Lentils and Garlic - Easy Warming Meal
Pan-searing, then quickly braising celery and garlic in wine and broth turns into a warming meal with the addition of make-ahead marinated lentils. Top it with an egg and add some crusty bread for a surprisingly luxurious, almost all-pantry dish.YIELD : 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
- extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp.)
- celery (1 bunch ) leaves reserved, stalks sliced ½” thick on a diagonal
- garlic (6–8 cloves) , thinly sliced
- kosher salt (1 tsp.) , plus more
- dry white wine or dry vermouth (½ cup)
- hardy herb sprigs (A small handful) (such as rosemary, thyme, and/or sage; optional)
- low-sodium beef, chicken, or vegetable broth (2½ cups)
- Big-Batch Marinated Lentils (2 cups)
- large eggs (4 pcs)
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread (for serving; optional)
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high.
- Add celery and toss to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until celery is very lightly browned, about 5 minutes,
- then add garlic and toss to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is deep golden brown and celery is tender and golden brown, 5–7 minutes.
- Mix in 1 tsp. kosher salt, then add wine and herbs (if using) and stir to combine. Cook until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; stir in lentils.
- Cook until lentils are warmed through and flavors have come together, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with more kosher salt if needed. Fish out herb sprigs if using and discard.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium.
- Crack eggs into skillet and cover with a lid (or a baking sheet if you don’t have one), reduce heat to low, and cook just until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- Divide braised celery soup among bowls.
- Top each with an egg and some celery leaves; sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread, if desired.